Friday, May 09, 2008

First Week Goals - Nailed

I'm feeling pretty stoked right now because I met my goal of completing a feature request by the end of my first week.

I have learned a lot of programming languages in my time. I've delivered production code in six: C, C++, Perl, Java, PHP, and Python. All six have syntax that varies from one to the other, Python being the most unique of the six; all six have varying degrees of suck-itude (Python, hardly any suck-itude; Java, 100% suck-itude); some are object-oriented, and some are C. But they really are all quite a bit like each other in concept.

Objective-C, however, is kinda throwing me for a curve. The metaphors of this language are a bit unique, and it is hard to anchor them to anything. I don't mean that I can't do it, but rather that it is stretching me.

That's why I'm so pleased that I met my goal. I imagine once I get this new technology figured out, what I did in one week (well, in fairness, it was really only about half a week, because of all the new-hire stuff I have to do) I should be able to do in a day or so. No matter. I'm stoked and ain't nobody bring me down today.