Friday, March 14, 2008

The Perils of Motocross to the Young Mind

Anyone who reads my blog at all knows that I have a real thing for Motocross and Supercross, the world's greatest sports, alongside football. But I have to admit, I'm worried a bit about the effect of motocross on the minds of young professionals.

Take Trey Canard for example. He is doing absolutely fabulous so far in his rookie season, having won the first three pro Supercrosses he raced in so far. But perhaps his avid involvement in racing is having an effect on his brain; perhaps the home schooling is not going quite so well as one would hope.

Apparently, this is at least true somewhat in math. Trey has, in repeated interviews, indicated his plans this year to give "200%" to his racing effort.

Oh. I see. Trey is planning to give even more than people who are only going to give 110%, 120%, or even 150%, although apparently he doesn't plan to be as committed as anyone who is going to give 1000%.

Well, Trey, I've got news for you. You cannot give more than 100%. This is a mathematical fact. Perhaps if you went to school instead of racing so much you would already know this.

I will translate Trey's statements, in order to make them easier to understand: "This year I plan to give twice as much as possible. I plan to be two times more dedicated than is possible. I plan to perform in the races two times better than I possibly can."

Maybe I'll try this at work. I'll give 200%, and bill my employer for two times the amount of work than I can possibly do.