Friday, December 16, 2005

I Want To Ride My [Motor]cycle


Here's a picture of me on my motorcycle. My bike is a 1998 Kawasaki KX 250. I picked this bike up for under $1500 and then spent another $500-$600 fixing it up. So yeah, it isn't new or anything, but considering what I spent it is a pretty awesome bike, if I do say so myself.

This picture was taken at a local track. This track is a fairly easy track, with nice big berms and easy jumps. No whoops anywhere on this track. Hey, I'm not a professional racer or anything. I just want to go ride and have fun. This track is plenty challenging for me.




I haven't ridden my bike for a few months now. Last time I went riding, we went to a different track than the one in the picture. This track is a lot more difficult, with whoops, rhythm sections, and double jumps.

It was bad timing cause I'd just come home from the US Open of Supercross in Las Vegas the weekend before. I'd spent all this time watching guys, even little kids, jumping these double jumps like it was nothing. I was thinking, "These little 8-year-old kids can do these doubles on a 50cc - I should be able to do this on my 250 no problem!"

Well, I'll admit it - they are much better riders than I am. After clipping the front tire on the top of the second jump, I almost rode it out before I lost control and went over the top of the berm. All I really know is that I landed really hard on the back of my left shoulder, and when I got up I had a huge bump on my collarbone where there shouldn't be one (see above). I now have a metal plate on my collarbone. Hey, sometimes it hurts to be a half bad boy.

Oh, and by the way, if you ever break your collarbone and the doctor says they can't do anything about it, don't believe it. That's what my doctor said also. Then I referred myself to an orthopedic surgeon who told me they do this all the time. If I had listened to my first doctor I would have been crippled in my shoulder for life. No kidding.