Thursday, June 12, 2008

An Apple n00b @ WWDC, Day 2

Anyone who has seen Wayne's World knows that you never want to be that guy that wears the shirt of the band to the concert of the same band. I thought the same rule would apply at WWDC. I mean, of course by day two I had already received two new black Apple t-shirts, but I did not think that I would be expected to wear them during the conference. I found this not to be true, however, as I arrived at the show the second day and found that everyone was wearing one of their new black t-shirts, except for me.

So I guess it goes without saying that the Black Ponytails spotted me without problem. I had not even noticed them as I sat down in the session I was attending that afternoon. I pulled out my Dell laptop. I mean, I know it is an Apple conference. But surely they don't expect everyone to have a Macbook, do they?

Well, apparently they do. I hadn't even finished logging in to my laptop when I was struck in the back of the head by something small and hard. At first I thought it was a rock, but when I turned around and looked I saw it was a small USB thumb drive. Not far behind me were the Black Ponytails. One sneered at me and suggested, using unkind words not appropriate for polite company, that perhaps I should put my laptop away. I obliged, wondering why these people just could not be accepting of someone new.